My Time at Porto


It’s funny how I was playing the video game My Time at Portia lately which immediately reminds me of the title of my post :D but yes while writing this I’m on the plane back home to Germany means the perfect time to look back on my trip collecting moments and sharing a bit with you. It was my first time in Portugal ever and I’ve really enjoyed it despite the bad weather I caught throughout my stay. I arrived Monday night after my easy 3 hour flight which I had to take from Berlin Schönefeld this time. My friend Ana which I met through the internet first was so sweet and picked me up from the airport. I also got me a coffee at Costa there whereto I was so surprised that they offer almond milk as I only know it with soy or coconut options from England.

It’s always a really interesting but happy experience meeting someone for the very first time in person only knowing each other from writing and pictures. With Ana I had this rare feeling that I can totally get along with her and that we know each other from a life before already it’s weird. I wasn’t wrong with that at all I felt so safe whereto I already like to thank her for being so lovely and caring throughout my stay. My Libra sister both born on the same day we found out later. Such a coincidence! 🖤





Tuesday
On my first day we went downtown to explore the alleys of the city, had really nice burgers and cakes at Black Mamba and also spotted a cool vintage store whereto I was surprised about the affordable prices since I know loads of pricey selected vintage shops from other places. So vintage shopping there is definitely worth it! The ice cream you see further below is from a little café we just walked into. My friend had to work on that day so I took that time to literally walk for miles in my platforms exploring the area on my own.








I set my destination to one Continente which is a supermarket chain there with a huge range. I probably spent at least an hour inside stalking for #accidentallyvegan finds. I had a few things on my list which I gladly got my hands on. They even had a whole vegan/vegetarian organic area whereto I was really happy not being able to read all the labels. I even spotted a really nice vegan cream cheese/Philadelphia which I didn’t buy at the end tho(but way after I took pictures I noticed there was a lady at the meat counter calling and waving at me in Portuguese not to take any pictures of that haha :D). I got peanut wafers from Marilan and Milhojas Cacao from Dulcesol which are little chocolate cakes filled with vanilla cream. I can’t recommend it tho it doesn’t taste that great in my opinion so you really not miss out on anything. The wafers didn’t have much peanut taste to it(rather go for Manner) and the cream filled bars taste really cheap yet I’m happy that I gave it a try. I really liked the Alpro Apple/Kiwi with no added sugar I got tho as we don't have that flavor here in my country. Below a picture spam for you I just like to take loads to look at them afterwards while noticing what I missed throughout the excitement :D 








Below a soy yoghurt I regret not buying because I wasn't fully sure if it's vegan so left it. They had several flavors of it!







After walking miles back I took a break at the river watching the lights while listening to music in my ears. It was truly magical. I also spotted a cacti in the dark! Then headed to my friend she made me fresh sushi and we drove back home with the car. Her dad was so kind and picked us up from her workplace as it was pouring rain so heavily outside.








Wednesday 
On Wednesday we took a walk to a local mall whereto I spotted all these lemon and orange trees I felt in love with. They reminded me of my time in Tunisia where I was on holidays with my family every year. Also all the gorgeous palm trees and plants. There was even an area with eucalyptus trees which made me think of Australia. We’ve spotted a pink house which was actually an elderly house on the way to the mall you might have seen it on my Instagram too. I still wonder how the backyard garden looked like I imagine a fairytale with old people sitting on pretty ornated benches surrounded by colorful flowers and ethereal butterflies. 






In the evening we went back downtown and had drinks at two different places. We also got pizza at a place I can't remember anymore which was so nice with the thin crust as I usually get problems with my gut and stomach from the dough. I didn’t even miss the cheese there the pineapple and mushrooms were so fresh. The servers were super kind too and I loved the location looking outside with that hostel which looked a bit like out of an anime to me. 





Thursday  
You can definitely tell that I didn’t take that many pictures this time mainly because it was mostly gloomy and rainy and also because I wanted to enjoy the moments with my friend. Looking through my eyes instead of a camera if you understand. I had my DSLR with me too but only used it for the food pics. 
On my last day Ana did my makeup in the morning which I shared on my Instagram story asking you how you like it. The feedback was insane and so positive I never expected that at all. It was nice as she did a great job but to be absolutely honest - I didn’t feel myself at all. I’m really more of a natural type and like to wear a little makeup only instead of having dark circles around my eyes. And in the end the only thing that matters is that I feel good in my own skin. It was fine for the day and enjoyed it but probably won’t wear it in future that quickly again. At least not on a daily base. But I’ll surely take that experience with me and might try around with new styles and more eye-catching looks.





We went back downtown again where we spotted another cute vintage store and also a really cool laundry with purple and white striped walls. 





We had lunch at DaTerra which is a fully vegan place perfectly for brunch. I put a bit of everything on my plate whereto our favorite were the lentils as well the Banoffee Pie afterwards which was probably one of my favorite cakes ever(and I had loads already) with its slightly salty biscuit crust and the light cream on top of sliced golden banana coins. The base of the cheesecake wasn’t that good I liked the berries tho. 













We were walking a lot on this day again, stepped by at a tattoo shop and drank all the coffee possible. 









Ended the day with a last dinner at Em Carne Viva which is a quite unknown and hidden but amazing vegetarian/vegan restaurant. I had the Francesinha in vegan which is a traditional and typical dish in Portugal. I mean how can you leave without trying it, right? It’s basically different kinds of meat layered between toast topped with cheese floating in a tomato, beer and wine sauce. I think this dish is one of the things which are super hard to veganize. It was okay but not mind blowing at all I missed the deepness in it. You can really tell that Ana's vegetarian version with cheese melts way better :D The dessert made up for it with its "crunchy elements"(still wondering who wrote the menu card you're a genius haha). I was just so full after all the food I couldn’t even walk properly anymore nor was able to sleep the night, more likely ended up in the worst pain lol but was worth it you only live once right.






Friday 
and as per usual on the day where I have to leave again it’s sunny and warm outside. Such a shame but at least I was able to see the pureness of the nature in its full beauty on the way back to the airport. 



So it was a quite short trip and we were mostly running around and enjoying different foods. It’s not a fashion city like London where I usually have business meetings and shootings. It was different but I have enjoyed it in its own way. Especially being with such a lovely soul like Ana so I went there most likely because of her. It’s easy to get around the city with English and I loved how sweet, kind and open minded the people which I asked for help were. This trip healed my uncomfortable feeling of being in a country with a foreign language(sorry Paris but it was such a nightmare) and again made me very confident. Right now I feel really weird and uncomfortable in my skin and can’t wait to be back home getting rid of the painful feeling in my gut, taking a nice bath as well bleaching my roots and giving my hair a nice treatment. These are the moments where you really appreciate going home loving the fact that you have a place to come back in safety. There’s still a two hour bus ride in front of me from Berlin to Leipzig so arrive at half past midnight. But with nice music in the ears, the love for writing as well heartwarming memories in your heart it’s surely a great way to overcome the time you have to pass on your travels. 

Also a little additional update after being home again: I just love the feeling of being busy, to work, to be in my own home. But I do need to get away regularly. I definitely felt different there in compare to London. There it still feels like a home to me no other place could change it yet. There are a few destinations on my list like Croatia, Ireland, Singapore but also Manchester and Edinburgh which are on top of it. These make me really excited as I'm still wondering if it's London who got my heart or England overall. I just really need to book new flights to keep up my passion and need in me!

💜



5 comments :

  1. Love reading your posts! They are always so magical ❤ I'm so glad you had a good time on your trip & thank you for reminding us all how important it is to get out of your comfort zone once in a while. It reminds me I need to challenge myself more when it comes to my anxiety & getting out of the house 🖤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Emily thank you so much for your sweet feedback 🖤 I'm so happy that it helps you it means the world to me! Remember facing your fears will make you stronger with each journey. I know it is hard but afterwards you'll be proud of yourself. You only live once 🖤

      Delete